Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

What do you see in the mirror?


I love this poem, one of the many that J has shared with me over our years together. it is called....
"The man in the mirror"
When you get what you want in your struggle for self,
And the world makes you long for a day,
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what THAT man has to say.
For if it is not your father or mother or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass.
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back in the glass.
Some people might think you are a straight shootin' chum
and call you a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum,
If you can't look him straight in the eye.
He's the fellow to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you dear up to the end.
And you have passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend
You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
and get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you have cheated the man in the glass.
Peter "Dale" Wimbrow Sr.

2 comments:

TJ said...

Love this...it is so true...often when I do something moral that Hubby doesn't understand...I say well, I have to lay my head on my pillow at night, which is a simular thought...have to live with ourselves more than anyone now don't we??
:-D

Hawkeye The Noo said...

Love it, when I look in the mirror, i think; who is that good looking, smug, son of a gun.